Sunday, May 27, 2012

Requests From an Intern

Having been a registered intern for the past few years and worked in a variety of settings, I am surprised @ the amount of supervisor horror stories I have, both heard, and personally experienced.

The following is a list of requests for supervisors to consider:

1) Remember when you were an intern...
And working a number of odd jobs in order to support yourself through that unpaid internship? Yeah, I'm doing that right now. So, please take that into consideration when you text me @ 9:40pm about tomorrow's 7:30am meeting and don't act shocked when I am unable to make it...

2) I'm not 22...
And this isn't my first internship (or even career), so have someone else (or God-forbid, you) pick up the new plant for the office, 'cause hauling a lemon tree on Muni would be a bitch...

3) I know you have plenty of money...
And not just because you drive a BMW, but also because of the two months a year you take off for  vacation and those pictures of your trip to Bali you showed me on your iPad. So please don't charge me $60 a month for tea, 'cause even if you do spend that much (your fault), that's a week worth of groceries for me...

4) Seek out your own therapist (or consultation group)...
So I don't have to hear about your home foreclosure, asshole husband or how my friend's suicide affected you.

5) Help me find my own words...
Not try to make me a mini you. I get it, you're amazing & I should probably just refer all of my clients to you, but they can't afford you. And I only cost slightly more than a night out at the movies...

Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment