Sunday, October 9, 2011

Turning 30 (Serious & Spiritual…Hey, I warned you :)


I turned 30 yesterday and have been having mixed feelings about it…Not so much about turning 30 itself, but being 30 and in my current situation (i.e. a single gal, with no hope in sight/credit card relying intern…really, need I say more?). My pity party lasted the good part of a week before I got over myself and realized how fortunate I am to be healthy/living in a wonderful city with amazing friends and a supportive family (…not so bad after all, aye?)

So to celebrate the big 3-0, a dear friend and I hiked out to the beach to have a little lunch and enjoy the beautiful weather (tank tops and sunshine in October!?!? Yes please :).  As I contemplated the last ten years of my life and all that took place, I began to think about my future too; hopefully a husband, some children, winning the lottery (the big one, not just a scratcher) and aging gracefully (think Demi Moore).  It was during this fantasy that an old belief popped up (an excuse really), something that I had been telling myself and others for a long time… “I’ll find a partner when I am leading the kind of life I want to be leading.” Variation “I need to be the person I want to be before I will find the husband/love I want.” Well, fuck that…

While standing at the mighty ocean’s edge, I began to think about her power and grace. Then it dawned on me, the ocean didn’t create her own water…it had to come from sky! (And I might add, sometimes travel a long way to get there…) Then once its time on earth is done, it returns to the sky only to be reborn again and become part of ocean once more. Repeat. A wave of relief washed over me as I applied this concept to my own life…it is part of the life cycle to be incomplete. Then we find friendships/relationships that feed us energy and provide us with that little something special that fulfills us so we can do our work and live our best life. A new belief began to take form, “I don’t have to wait until I am complete within myself/career/financially, but can continue to receive “rain” growing stronger, brighter and more me in a relationship.”  Well obviously, this new belief feels right and true…Now if I can only keep that old one from popping up again, as my dad would say, “Then, I’ll be in business…” 

No comments:

Post a Comment